- Introduction to Grades
The Standard Chinese Course is divided into 7 grades: Introductory 1, Introductory 2, Introductory 3, Intermediate 1, Intermediate 2, Advanced 1，Advanced 2.
Introductory 1——For the students with zero foundation in Chinese, who will learn Chinese starting from Pinyin (phonetic transcription). The learning target is to master 150 Chinese characters, learn elementary Chinese grammar and become able to communicate using basic Chinese sentences, grasp Pinyin skillfully, learn the basic knowledge of Chinese characters, develop the interest in Chinese characters and pass HSK Level-1 test after the end of learning.
Introductory 2——For the students who have mastered 150 Chinese characters. The learning target is to master 300 Chinese characters, basically learn slightly more complicated grammar, e.g. “BA” and “BEI” sentences, and become able to use grammar skillfully for basic daily communications, understand and grasp the general rules of Chinese characters and pass HSK Level-2 test after the end of learning.
Introductory 3——For the students who have mastered 300 Chinese characters. The learning target is to master 600 Chinese characters and become able to make comprehensive use of basic Chinese grammar for fluent daily life communications, understand short articles of narration and description, write out sentences of correct grammar by using correct Chinese characters and pass HSK Level-3 test after the end of learning.
Intermediate 1——For the students who have mastered 600 Chinese characters. The learning target is to master 1200 Chinese characters and become able to use Chinese grammar for deeper life communications, understand the common expressions in life, correctly use complicated sentence patterns, e.g. “BA”, “BEI” and complements, for fluent communications and pass HSK Level-4 test after the end of learning.
Intermediate 2——For the students who have mastered 1200 Chinese characters. The learning target is to master 2500 Chinese characters and become able to express views by using some written language, understand general narrative articles, grasp certain specialized words, write out short articles of correct grammar and pass HSK Level-5 test after the end of learning.
Advanced 1——For the students who have mastered 2500 Chinese characters. The learning target is to master 5000 Chinese characters and become able to understand news reports, make skillful use of professional vocabulary, express ideas in written language, air opinions, write an idiomatic article of 400 characters and pass HSK Level-6 test after the end of learning.
Advanced 2——For the students who have mastered 5000 Chinese characters. The learning target is to be able to understand the professional articles on politics, economy, culture and history, accumulate a large enough professional vocabulary, respond to all types of jobs, express ideas on current affairs, make fluent translation and interpretation, reach the level of Chinese nationals in pronunciation and language expression after the end of learning.
- Course System
This course is divided into 7 grades, with each class period lasting 25 minutes.
|Grade||Number of Lessons||Class Period Needed by Each Lesson||Total Class Periods||Supplementary Course for HSK
|Corresponding Teaching Materials|
|Introductory 1||45||2||90||20||Standard Course HSK1|
|Introductory 2||60||2||120||20||Standard Course HSK2|
|Introductory 3||80||2||160||20||Standard Course HSK3|
|Intermediate 1||60||2||160||20||Standard Course HSK4 (First half, second half)|
|Intermediate 2||36||5||288||20||Standard Course HSK5 (First half, second half)|
|Advanced 1||40||5||200||20||Standard Course HSK6 (First Half)
Supplementary Materials about Idioms
|Advanced 2||40||5||200||20||Standard Course HSK6 (Second Half)
Supplementary Materials about Current Political News of China
The HSK textbook of Standard Course was compiled by Jiang Liping as chief editor and published by the Press of Beijing Language & Culture University. Based on the vocabulary of HSK outline, the textbook features topics that are cordial and familiar, design of language points that meets the cognitive rules of students, content and form that are novel. After learning the knowledge points of this textbook in a systematic manner, students can learn our pre-HSK supplementary course to easily cope with the HSK test at all levels. Therefore, we have selected this textbook as the major teaching material.
- Characteristics of the Course
- Clear purpose. The main purpose is to enhance the spoken language of students on the basis of systematic learning of grammar.
- High practicability. The large number of examples from real life given in class can be used directly in both life and work.
- Strong interaction. The students will have at least 50% of the class time for interaction with the teacher to speak Chinese from zero foundation and rule out mute Chinese.
- Many practices in writing Chinese characters. The students will start to develop the habit of writing Chinese characters from the first class to learn to read Chinese characters.
- The course is closely combined with HSK so that, at every stage, the students can learn the vocabulary and grammar required by the HSK outline. After completing the relevant grade, they can sit for HSK test directly. After the classes for Standard Chinese at every level, special HSK exercises are set up for the level.
- Adequate exercises. The students will do oral exercises with the teacher directly in class. After class, the students will continuously review and consolidate what they have learnt by fulfilling exercises and assignments.
- After finishing the course, the students can form a complete system of Chinese grammar.
- Characteristics of Teaching
- The teacher will do classroom teaching in Chinese. At the stage of zero foundation, we do not exclude use of English as an aid. The teaching in Chinese at introductory and intermediate levels is intended to create a pure Chinese environment for the students.
- The teachers will give lessons in a vivid and interesting way by using examples from real life. At the intermediate and advanced stages, teachers will guide students to focus on the content related to the social news, politics and economy of China.
- In classroom teaching, emphasis will be placed on review and repeated training. The teacher will repeat the words and phrases that have been learnt in class and give assignments of diversified forms every day.
- Grammar will play a major role in oral language teaching to fit the learning habit of adults and ensure clearly and well-organized learning.
- The teachers will be kind and polite rather than act in the capacity of teacher to form relations of friend with the students.
- Before start of a class, the teacher will find out about the students first to respect the students from all countries, including their taboos.